Re: Single purpose

Gustavo Guillermo Pérez wrote:
El Sábado, 15 de Julio de 2006 15:04, Scott Taylor escribió:
Hello admins,

I have a client that wants a workstation that can do only one thing:
connect a browser to a website and that is all.  Only the one website too.
 I'm thinking something with Squid, maybe, or some IPTables entry, on a
stand alone workstation (probably CentOS).

Does that sound do-able?
Yes of course
Any suggestions?
Reasemble some kind of live distro, not just CentOs, like knoppix or Gentoo Live DVD. Remove default gateway and add the name resolution of your webpage to /etc/hosts, and of course add route just only for this webpage.

I use to do it on my systems, and for me like other people suggest, a DVD4.3GB is enough, no hard drive involved. or PXEBoot if you are on some kind of lan.

:)
in /cdrom/KNOPPIX/knoppix.sh , you can also turn off the shells on the consoles (by replacing /etc/inittab) and change /etc/sudoers so that other stuff isn't available. Since you ONLY want to be able to run the browser, then you may also want to run a more limited desktop (like fvwm), and remove all of the mouse options. That'll make it reasonably
difficult to run anything other than the browser.

You might even set it up so that the browser is restarted whenever it dies.

Also note that, if you want a minimal system, you can set the workstation to pxeboot and export the knoppix image from another UNIX workstation (I've had it running off of both a knoppix box and an old FreeBSD box). Most cheap motherboards these days allow you to pxeboot off of the built-in ethernet. That way you have a machine with zero mechanical other than the fans and no way to boot strangely other than guessing
the BIOS password.

--
Stephen Samuel +1(778)861-7641             samnospam@xxxxxxxxxxx
		   http://www.bcgreen.com/