Re: Odd ghostscript problem (ps to PDF conversion)

El Jueves, 27 de Julio de 2006 13:48, escribió:
> I'm occasionally converting scanned images to PDF files, people seem to
> be able to read/print them easier.
>
> I have two scripts that basically run through the scanned .png files and
> spit out a single PDF in the end. This works for LETTER size, but not
> for LEGAL size, and I don't know why. What happens is this: The scan has
> the proper format (legal size), conversion to pnm and then ps gives me a
> properly legal sized postscript file - but as soon as ghostscript
> processes it, the document gets shifted down by an inch or so, and an
> inch of information gets lost at the end of the page. Why? I wish I
> knew. The script is as follows:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> cd ~scanner
>
> for filename in `ls *.png` ; do
>   echo -n "Converting $filename to PDF ... "
>   pngtopnm $filename | pnmtops -imagewidth=8.5 -imageheight=14 |
> ps2pdf14 -sPAPERSIZE=legal - `echo $filename|cut -d. -f1`.pdf
>   rm $filename
>   echo "done. Source deleted."
> done
>
> echo -n "Concatenating PDF files ... "
> gs -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -q -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
> -sPAPERSIZE=legal -sOutputFile="/mnt/server/PDF/ScanImage `date +"%a %F
> %H.%M.%S"`.pdf" `ls *.pdf`
> echo "done."
> echo -n "Cleaning up ... "
> rm *.pdf
> chmod -R a+rw "/mnt/server/PDF"
>
> echo "done."

Try to do not specify paper size on ghostcript, in some countries there exist
a paper size so called "oficio" too like to "legal" that has about 1 inch
(2cm) of less paper than "legal" we use to increase in our documents the
footer margin to fit on "officio", I don't know how this should be
translated.

And why you do not try to use psutils, for doing everything including the
join, and later just convert ps to pdf.

:)

--
Gustavo Guillermo Pérez