Re: HP laptop: fan off until CPU temp near 105 degrees C

On 24 September 2012 17:47, R, Durgadoss <durgadoss.r@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> IMO, this crit_alarm should become 1 when your CPU temperature reaches
> 105 C. Does this happen ?

No, crit_alarm stays set to 0 even when CPU temp hits 105.

> Okay, That explains a bit of it. You have CPU cores and LCD registered as
> cooling devices. But I believe throttling these things would require some
> intelligence/information from ACPI tables.. Not sure whether your
> BIOS has them.. May be Rui can help us here..

My CPU definitely throttles.  When idling the CPU freq is 1.2GHz; when
fully loaded it's 2.4GHz (according to /proc/cpuinfo)

> AFAIK, The coretemp driver does not do/handle any hysteresis like this.
> My best guess is again the BIOS has something configured to do like this.

Oh yes, I should mention: the BIOS setup has an option "Fan Always on
while on AC Power".  I've tried booting with this option on and with
it off but it appears to make no difference to Linux.

Thanks again,
Jack