Re: sony-laptop on VAIO TT help request

Il 12/07/2011 08:21, Norbert Preining ha scritto:
Hi Marc,

sorry for the silence, I was overly busy with a state exam on Japanese
and some presentations.

Hi Norbert,
there is no problem at all.

What I am missing is the shock protector, there is a sensor built in.

Yes I know, and it seems that a device driver is used under Windows... can you confirm this? Can you see this sensor under the device listing of Windows? Handle 0x0113 might allow to turn on/off this sensor, but then it should controlled by another driver, I'm afraid.

This last one is interesting because, from the other DSTDs I have seen,
I suspect your notebook to have handle 0x0113, an handle that allows to
enable/disable an unknown feature, is it the HDD protection?

How can I check that?

I can provide you a patch for testing this feature.

This is interesting too. Ok, let's not speak about the multiplexer
methods, let us speak about handle 0x0128, related to the Hybrid GFX
feature. I have never done a deep analysis, maybe you can help here.
First of all, newer VPCZ1 models come with a few more methods, dealing
with the screen brightness level, HSC5, HSC6, HSC7. Then:
- HSC0 returns the event reason (1 switch position change? what about
2,3,4?)

Currently we are not evaluating HSC0 at all, I am not sure about its
function.

HSC0 returns HGER (Hybrid GFX Event Reason), a number that can be read when an Hybrid GFX event is notified (for example when the physical switch change its position), telling userspace what triggered that event.

only HSC1 is used to query the speed/stamina switch.

It also provides other informations, do you know their meaning?

Method (HSC1, 0, Serialized)
{
    Store (Zero, Local0)
    If (AVIL)			<-- ??
    { ... }

    If (^^H8EC.SWPS)		<-- switch position
    { ... }

    If (LEqual (HGAP, One))	<-- Hyb GFX A? Presence?
    { ... }

    If (LEqual (HGAP, 0x02))	<-- Hyb GFX A? Presence?
    { ... }

    If (HDME)		<-- HDMI Exit? HDMI routing capability?
    { ... }

    If (DVIE)
    { ... }

    If (^^H8EC.ATSW)		<-- switch set to auto
    { ... }

}

Furthermore, the path of HSC1 is different on different modules
	_SB.PCI0.LPC.SNC.HSC1	(VGN)
and
	_SB.PCI0.LPCB.SNC.HSC1	(VPC)

This is not relevant, we just call the SN07 method from the SNC device, so don't care about it.

Not much more is used actually, but turning on/off the nvidia (secondary
gpu) and the speed/stamina led by hooking into
	_SB.PCI0.OVGA._DSM (VGN)
and
	_SB.PCI0.P0P2.DGPU._DSM (VPC)
with various function indices (2 ->  led, 3 ->  gpu off).

If I'm not wrong the video driver should take care of calling _DSM and other multiplexing methods (MXDS, MXMX and so on), is it right? We need to find out more about methods HSC1, HSC2, HSC3, HSC4, but I don't own the hardware. Then we can start changing the code to be more compliant to the kernel guidelines.