Re: sony-laptop on VAIO TT help request

Hi Marc,

sorry for the silence, I was overly busy with a state exam on Japanese
and some presentations.

On Fr, 01 Jul 2011, Marco Chiappero wrote:
>> I looked a bit through the patch and I see that it is restricted
>> to MM and (forgotten the model number).
>
> MM? What does it stand for?

TT I meant. But patching the kernel and running your module I see at least
that there is support for battery_care_limiter and some others.
On my VGN-Z11 I get:
battery_care_limiter  lid_resume_control  subsystem@	    uevent
bluetoothpower	      modalias		  thermal_control   wwanpower
driver@		      odd_power		  thermal_profiles
fanspeed	      power/		  touchpad
in /sys/devices/platform/sony-laptop.

What I am missing is the shock protector, there is a sensor built in.

> This last one is interesting because, from the other DSTDs I have seen,
> I suspect your notebook to have handle 0x0113, an handle that allows to
> enable/disable an unknown feature, is it the HDD protection?

How can I check that?

> This is interesting too. Ok, let's not speak about the multiplexer
> methods, let us speak about handle 0x0128, related to the Hybrid GFX
> feature. I have never done a deep analysis, maybe you can help here.
> First of all, newer VPCZ1 models come with a few more methods, dealing
> with the screen brightness level, HSC5, HSC6, HSC7. Then:
> - HSC0 returns the event reason (1 switch position change? what about
> 2,3,4?)

Currently we are not evaluating HSC0 at all, I am not sure about its
function. only HSC1 is used to query the speed/stamina switch.
Furthermore, the path of HSC1 is different on different modules
	_SB.PCI0.LPC.SNC.HSC1	(VGN)
and
	_SB.PCI0.LPCB.SNC.HSC1	(VPC)

Not much more is used actually, but turning on/off the nvidia (secondary
gpu) and the speed/stamina led by hooking into
	_SB.PCI0.OVGA._DSM (VGN)
and
	_SB.PCI0.P0P2.DGPU._DSM (VPC)
with various function indices (2 -> led, 3 -> gpu off).

> What does handle 0x0128 aim to provide?

No idea..

If anything what I said makes sense to you and you need more information,
please let me know. I can hack the module code and dump acpi etc
whatever might be useful for you.

Best wishes

Norbert
it's at times like this, when
I'm trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse,
and about to die from asphyxiation in deep space that I
really wish I'd listened to what my mother told me when I
was young.'
`Why, what did she tell you?'
`I don't know, I didn't listen.'
                 --- Arthur coping with certain death as best as he could.