Re: a problem about the two patches in bug 10724 & 11428

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 07:47 +0400, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
> Zhao Yakui wrote:
> > Hi, Alexey
> >    After investigation I found that the laptop in bug 11428 is the same
> > as that in bug 8459. Is the EC on such laptop that you mean "optimized"
> > EC? But in fact the OBF and IBF can reflect the EC status correctly
> > although sometimes there is no GPE interrupt confirmation.
> Why you use "but in fact" here? There is no reason to repeat to me my own
> findings as a "new truth"...
> > At the same time maybe EC will send a notification event requiring OS's
> > attention. In such case OS can detect whether the notification event is
> > sent  by checking the SCI_EVT bit in the EC GPE interrupt service
> > routine.(I.E . acpi_ec_gpe_handler). In fact only checking notification
> > event in ec gpe handler is enough to make EC work.
> >
> > If so, the EC work flowchart will become very simple. I will try to
> > write this patch and consult with Len.
> You just described software poll mode of EC driver,
> "missing confirmations" are the switch from pure interrupt mode to "the
> poll for IBF/OBF changes, but expect interrupt for SCI change".
> Do you plan to drop pure interrupt mode now?
> >
> > There is another issue. From the log in  comment #26 of bug 11428 I find
> > that OS still issues the burst disable command although EC already exits
> > the burst mode. Maybe we should check whether the EC is in burst mode
> > before issuing EC burst disable command.
> Does it hurt?
It is harmless. But it is meaningless that OS still issue burst disable
command after EC exits the burst mode. In theory after burst disable
command is issued, EC GPE interrupt will be triggered. In such case when
obtaining the info of the battery related with EC, there will exist some
meaningless ACPI interrupt.