Re: a problem about the two patches in bug 10724 & 11428

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 11:53 +0400, Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
> Zhao Yakui wrote:
> >> Right
> >> Almost. EC by itself (hardware device) still will be working in its
> >> "optimized gpe mode" as before, but EC driver (software) will be working in poll mode.
> >> Regards,
> > If EC always works in such mode, it seems that we can make EC work more
> > simply.
> If you _disable_ EC GPE or not enable it in first place, EC(hardware) will be working in
> poll mode. So, there is no spare code to clean up, sorry.
Not understand what you said.
After your three patches hit the upstream kernel, the EC GPE is still
enabled when EC timeout happens. In such case when EC is accessed, EC
will work in polling mode. At the same time EC GPE interrupt still can
be triggered.
If so, maybe it is also reasonable that EC always works in such mode
after the ACPI EC driver is loaded fully.(ACPI EC device is bound with
the ACPI EC driver).
    a. EC GPE interrupt can be triggered
    b. When EC internal register is accessed, EC driver works in polling
mode.

If EC always works in above mode, the working flowchart in EC driver can
be simplified.
   a. The mode switch from polling mode to interrupt mode is useless
   b. Some flags are also useless. (For example:
WAIT_GPE/RESCHEDULE_POLL/FLAGS_NO_GPE)
   c. polling timer is useless
   d. In EC GPE interrupt handler we can only care the EC notification
event.(The SCI_EVT bit of EC status register).