Re: Where does ELKS need to go? (was: ELKS links broken)

The world's changed a lot since 1995 (almost half my life ago?  dang.)
 when I started playing with ELKS.  The Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone
Black are both much more powerful than any desktop, old or new, I
could possibly buy then, and so much cheaper!

Also, UNIX v6 is now truly free and has been ported to x86-32.

If I were to start today, I would probably look at a Cortex M3
microcontroller, which has very limited memory, but quite a bit of CPU
power relative to an 8088.  (But I probably would have taken up a
different project altogether, probably a usable lightweight Linux
distro/userspace for Pentium III's or some such.  But probably I'd
tilt a completely different windmill altogether.)

The solutions leading to getting something that looks vaguely UNIXy
working on an M3/M4 might be quite interesting in general, I suspect a
new C compiler/runtime with memory guarding built in would be needed.
And even with the overhead of run-time checking - or even executing
bytecode - it could still be faster than an 8088!

I'll have to think about this... there *is* an answer to "Where does
ELKS fit into the 2014 world?" but I don't have it yet.