Re: Where does ELKS need to go?

> On 04/18/14 15:03, Jody Bruchon wrote:

>> * The project has no active real-hardware testers to call upon. No one has real hardware AND time for the project AND wants to test changes. I personally have no 8086/80286 hardware but have a plethora of functioning Compaq 486 and Toshiba Pentium laptops, all of which have Linux on them. Without real hardware and a skilled, willing owner that can test ELKS on it, there can be no proper development. I can use emulators but they don't emulate the many various quirks and "just non-standard enough to piss you off" hardware of the early IBM PC era (I'm thinking about you, Tandy.)

I have a Compaq Deskpro 8086 (7.14 MHz) with a DTC-5150 MFM
controller, a 10M Winchester drive, a single 360K floppy drive, 640K
of RAM, and a 3Com 10base2 NIC (will have to check what model it is).

I am not a programmer, but I would *love* to test.  At times, the code
has seemed to be in a state where testing would be hard.  I haven't
kept track of the status of an installer, but that would really help
me be able to test more often.  Generally speaking, prioritizing a
minimum baseline of "installability" would really help more people be
able to test -- by reducing the friction and startup cost of testing.

Royce