Re: John Smithson, Australia kernel 2.6.32-28-generic

John,

There are definitely two modems on your System, the VIA modem and the
Agere 11c1:0440 modem.
While trying to use the Agere modem first blacklist the VIA driver.
Block unwanted modem drivers with an edit to

$ sudo gedit  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem.conf:
# Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
 blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
 blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
 wherein, I have removed the # in the last 2 lines,  Theb reboot abd retest

MarvS