Re: John Smithson, Australia kernel 2.6.32-28-generic

John,

You may be a victim of Ubuntu designers' desire to make everything automatic. Many things, ModemData.txt to begin with, in your reports confirm that Ubuntu has (wrongly) decided that you have a via82xx modem, and has installed drivers, links, amd more under this wrong assumption, while you are rightly trying to use your Lucent/Agere modem.
This may have caused enough havoc to generate the failure.

A little bit of collaborative work seems to me necessary now.

Your dmesg ends up with an output generated by command    lsmod
I am not a Ubuntu user. However I use Linux since 1992 and this is the first time that I notice a lsmod listing in a dmesg output. If this is not an Ubuntu feature then probably it was appended by you: am I correct? In any case there is no way in your dmesg log to find out at what time/step/status this lsmod listing was created. Furthermore I found no other lsmod listing in the three other files which you aptly attached to your mail.
The lsmod  listing shown in your dmesg however displays:
snd_via82xx            20058  2
snd_via82xx_modem       8486  0

This may not necessarily (but quite possibly) a nuisance, but as long an entry martian_dev is not shown in lsmod output your Lucent/Agere modem (chipset model 44c was already produced by Lucent before Lucent got purchased by Agere hence my naming).
**CANNOT** work , as its DRIVER IS NOT PRESENT IN THE COMPUTER MEMORY.

Furthermore, I did not find a report of which PROGRAMS are running in the computer when you start wvdial. The output of the double (piped, this is what sign | means in a command) command
ps ax | grep  martian
must report  an entry    martian_modem

All this is explained in the file named INSTALL in the archive which you must have downloaded to build the driver.

In view of the above may I kindly ask to reboot your machine and try to start wvdial, and send us (discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx , not directly to me) a file with the output of commands (prefixed by sudo as and if asked by Ubuntu)
lsmod
ps ax | grep martian
wvdial

all of them given AFTER you have made all everything you are used to before triggering wvdial.

To check that the driver files martian_dev and martian_modem were correctly built, it would help if you could also run the commands sudo updatedb (keep cool, it takes some time to complete, and outputs nothing on the console)
sudo locate martian
and send us the output of     sudo locate martian

PLEASE insert the outputs as text in your message as attached .txt files are sometimes blocked on their way to us.

Jacques