Re: agrsm048 successful connection on 2.6.33, and update for 2.6.31

Sure, Keneth, but may I suggest to always quote WHY the issue rises in addition to how to "solve" it? A major security risk of a remote hacker penetrating the system if wvdial/ppp is not running as super-user.

Jacques

eneth W Jones wrote:
Joshua,

To resolve the issue of running /usr/sbin/pppd (via wvdial or Gnome PPP)
as a non-sudo/regular user...is there anything wrong with doing the
following:

First,

Check to see if the group called dip exists on your system:

$ cat /etc/group | grep "dip"
dip:x:30:hjones

Per the above, the dip group exists on my system, and my USERNAME hjones
is a member of this group.
If the dip group exists, but your USERNAME is not included in the dip
group run the following command:

$ sudo gpasswd -a USERNAME dip

However; more than likely you will need to create the dip group, and add
your USERNAME to the dip group. So...
Second,

$ sudo groupadd -g 30 dip
$ sudo gpasswd -a USERNAME dip

As a result, the file /etc/group will be updated with a line; e.g.,
dip:x:30:<USERNAME>

Third,

Set the group and permissions on /usr/sbin/pppd file so that any member
of the dip group can execute /usr/sbin/pppd.

$ sudo chgrp dip /usr/sbin/pppd
$ sudo chmod u+s,o= /usr/sbin/pppd

Nick, FYI the wvdial program uses the /etc/wvdial.conf for its
configuration setting file which you already know.
However, you may not know that Gnome PPP (the graphical front-end for
wvdial) uses a separate /home/USERNAME/.wvdial.conf for its
configuration setting file.
So, if you're using Gnome PPP you need to be looking at .wvdial.conf in
your home directory (BTW: the dot before wvdial.conf means the file is
hidden in case you didn't know) to see what settings are in effect for
pppd.