Re: agrsm048 successful connection on 2.6.33, and update for 2.6.31

Hi Joshua,

Sorry for my late reply,

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 00:16, Joshua Gordon Crawford
<jgcrawford@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems at this point that the driver is working correctly, and we're
> left with a line quality issue.
>
> When you use the phone on that line, does it sound noisy (crackly,
> windy, etc)? Are there other phones or devices connected to the line,
> in other rooms, etc? Can you test with a different line, e.g. at a
> friend's house?
>
> Is the modem new or used? I had to replace a modem a few years back
> because _it_ had become noisy and couldn't hold the carrier.

The modem isn't new, but it would have been new when this computer was
purchased. Is there a way to find out if this one has become noisy?

No the line doesn't sound noisy. I had my ADSL and another phone
plugged into the same jack, which I have now removed, but I'm still
getting the errors. In fact, I've just removed all the devices in the
house connected. Actually there is an alarm here that connects to the
phone line - don't know if that affects it, or how to disconnect it. I
haven't tried a friend's house but will see if I can do that.

it looks as though there is another error here, the Login x3 and
Password Idle Timeout:

ATM1L3DT086700006
CONNECT 50666 V44
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
--> Connected, but carrier signal lost!  Retrying...
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT086700006
--> Waiting for carrier.
** Lucent APX Terminal Server **
Login:
Login:
Login:
Login: ATM1L3DT086700006
Password: Idle Timeout
--> Timed out while dialing.  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT086700006
--> Waiting for carrier.
NO CARRIER
ATM1L3DT086700006
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Sending: ATM1L3DT086700006
--> Waiting for carrier.
NO CARRIER
ATM1L3DT086700006
--> No Carrier!  Trying again.
--> Maximum Attempts Exceeded..Aborting!!
--> Disconnecting at Tue Mar 23 08:39:03 2010

or does that relate to the existing 'No Carrier' problem?

>> A slightly off-topic question: I note that the modem wasn't detected
>> when I rebooted just now. Is it advisable to run wvdialconf as a
>> startup 'script'?
>
> The driver needs to be loaded after each reboot, and the symlink
> created. For now you can do that manually by running agrsm-test, but
> later it can be automated.
>
> Quoting agrsm_howto.txt (in the source directory):
>
> Automation - Do NOT do this until full functionality of the modem is
> achieved, or testing the issues will be confused. The following SINGLE LINE
> can be added (depending upon your Linux distro) to /etc/modprobe.conf or
> (Debian/Ubuntu) a file with folder /etc/modprobe.d/, perhaps
>        /etc/modprobe.d/agrsm.conf
>
> install agrserial modprobe --ignore-install agrmodem ; modprobe
> --ignore-install agrserial ; test -e /dev/ttyAGS3 ; ln -s /dev/ttyAGS3
> /dev/ttySAGR ; ln -s /dev/ttyAGS3 /dev/modem
>
> <end quote>
>
> The howto then implies you need to modprobe agrserial manually each
> time you boot, but that can also be done automatically, by adding
> agrserial to /etc/modules.

OK, thanks.

Nick