Re: agrsm048 successful connection on 2.6.33, and update for 2.6.31

On 18 March 2010 19:22, Nick <soapduk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Joshua
>
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 13:45, Joshua Gordon Crawford
> <jgcrawford@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 18 March 2010 10:14, Nick <soapduk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
>>> --> Initializing modem.
>>> --> Sending: ATZ
>>> ATZ
>>> OK
>>> --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
>>> ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
>>> OK
>>> --> Modem initialized.
>>> --> Please enter password (or empty password to stop):
>>> --> Sending: ATM1L3DT086799209
>>> --> Waiting for carrier.
>>> ATM1L3DT086799209
>>> CONNECT 48000 V42bis
>>> --> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.
>>> --> Connected, but carrier signal lost!  Retrying...
>>
>> This is not encouraging. You've got CONNECT at a decent speed, but
>> then lost it. It could be that the phone line is noisy, or someone
>> picked up the phone. If not a physical problem like that, then maybe
>> you need 'Carrier Check = no' and/or 'Stupid Mode = yes' in
>> wvdial.conf.
>
> I've got the correct account details and am still getting that issue.
> I've tried the Carrier Check = no and Stupid Mode = yes, both on their
> own and together. The modem was plugged into a double phone jack so I
> pulled that out and ran it straight into the wall socket but no
> change. It seems like we are so close, but something is not quite
> working as it should.

It seems at this point that the driver is working correctly, and we're
left with a line quality issue.

When you use the phone on that line, does it sound noisy (crackly,
windy, etc)? Are there other phones or devices connected to the line,
in other rooms, etc? Can you test with a different line, e.g. at a
friend's house?

Is the modem new or used? I had to replace a modem a few years back
because _it_ had become noisy and couldn't hold the carrier.

> A slightly off-topic question: I note that the modem wasn't detected
> when I rebooted just now. Is it advisable to run wvdialconf as a
> startup 'script'?

The driver needs to be loaded after each reboot, and the symlink
created. For now you can do that manually by running agrsm-test, but
later it can be automated.

Quoting agrsm_howto.txt (in the source directory):

Automation - Do NOT do this until full functionality of the modem is
achieved, or testing the issues will be confused. The following SINGLE LINE
can be added (depending upon your Linux distro) to /etc/modprobe.conf or
(Debian/Ubuntu) a file with folder /etc/modprobe.d/, perhaps
        /etc/modprobe.d/agrsm.conf

install agrserial modprobe --ignore-install agrmodem ; modprobe
--ignore-install agrserial ; test -e /dev/ttyAGS3 ; ln -s /dev/ttyAGS3
/dev/ttySAGR ; ln -s /dev/ttyAGS3 /dev/modem

<end quote>

The howto then implies you need to modprobe agrserial manually each
time you boot, but that can also be done automatically, by adding
agrserial to /etc/modules.

--
Joshua Crawford ... http://geocities.com/mortarn

http://www.rewardscentral.com.au/Join/Default.aspx?refer=mortarn