Re: Automate slmodemd

Andre,

Everything appears to be correct.
/* quote */
I'm a bit concerend with two commented lines at the beginning (l.5 #
chkconfig: 345 90 10 and
 l.8 # config: /etc/sysconfig/slmodem). Since they are commented out,
they should have no effect
 on the script, correct? But a little further down, on l.17,
'CONFIG=/etc/sysconfig/$prog' might
 be causing the problem. However, I have no idea what the correct
CONFIG might be.
/* quote */

Don't worry about the comment
# chkconfig 345 90 10

This means that slmodemd will run on levels 3 4 and 5 shutdown on 90
and start at 10:

Here's a better explanation:

The chkconfig line & description line must go into
every script that is to go under the control of
chkconfig. The description line seems pretty
self-explanatory. the chkconfig line:

# chkconfig: 345 90 10
              |  |  |
              |  |  priority for kill scripts
              |  |
              |  priority for start scripts

              run levels at which to start service

[root@localhost init.d]# chkconfig slmodemd --add
[root@localhost init.d]# chkconfig slmodemd on
[root@localhost init.d]# cd ..
[root@localhost rc.d]# for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
> do
> ls rc$i.d/*slmodemd*
> done
rc0.d/K10slmodemd
rc1.d/K10slmodemd
rc2.d/S90slmodemd
rc3.d/S90slmodemd
rc4.d/S90slmodemd
rc5.d/S90slmodemd
rc6.d/K10slmodemd
[root@localhost rc.d]#

[root@localhost rc.d]# chkconfig slmodemd --list
slmodemd        0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on
 5:on    6:off

Please run the above commands, ie.

# chkconfig slmodemd --add
# chkconfig slmodemd on
# cd /etc/rc.d/

type exactly as this appears.  When you get to 6 press Enter you
should see a ">" continue with the numbers and type everything there
pressing enter everytime till you get to done and press Enter you
should see what is in the above example or something similar.

# for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
> do
> ls rc$i.d/*slmodemd*
> done

If you shutdown/reboot after this is done and you want to see if
slmodemd service is running please run
# service slmodemd status

and hopefully see that it is running.  Try the above steps and see if
that helps or not.  Hope this works as it has for me for a good while.

Regards,

Antonio