Re: 536ep Slow to respond, openSuSE 11.1

Dear Bjorn,

You may move your 536EP modem to a different PCI slot. As for my
computer, here is what it tells:
[philippe@victor ~]$ lspci -vvv | grep IRQ
        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 21
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 20
        Interrupt: pin B routed to IRQ 22
        Interrupt: pin C routed to IRQ 21
        Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 23
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 23
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 16
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 17

The most important thing to really look at is this:

[philippe@victor ~]$ sudo cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:        131          0   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:       5535          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  3:          2          0   IO-APIC-edge
  4:          2          0   IO-APIC-edge
  5:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      MPU401 UART
  7:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      parport0
  8:          1          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc0
  9:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 14:        677          0   IO-APIC-edge      pata_via
 15:      41068          0   IO-APIC-edge      pata_via
 17:       5652          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   HDA Intel
 20:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb1
 21:      91561          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb3, sata_via
 22:      15208          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb2
 23:      19337          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   uhci_hcd:usb4, eth0
 48:          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      aerdrv, pciehp
NMI:          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
LOC:     394366     400953   Local timer interrupts
RES:       5251       4692   Rescheduling interrupts
CAL:         71        216   Function call interrupts
TLB:       4831      12301   TLB shootdowns
TRM:          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
SPU:          0          0   Spurious interrupts
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

which shows a IRQ conflict between usb3 and sata_via (my SATA disk
drives) as well as usb4 and eth0 (my Ethernet controller). Reorganising
my connectors on the USB bus today shows:
[philippe@victor ~]$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:0084 Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04a9:2220 Canon, Inc. CanoScan LIDE 25
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

So both my two USB devices are both on usb2 (Bus 002) which IRQ
conflicts with nothing. And now I have a quite stable Linux computer.
This was NOT the case a couple of days ago. When upgrading Fedora 10 to
11, my computer was suddenly stopping while downloading rpms. After
having noticed this IRQ conflict, I then disabled all the USB. This has
enabled me the upgrade. Using my motherboard BIOS, I am totally unable
to get rid from this remaining IRQ conflict and with the motherboard
manual there is absolutely no possible jumper settings.

I just pay the price my computer has cost me 500 euros and as such is
indeed not intended for the professional market although, by some
aspects, it reveals more performant when running CPU intensive programs
than many of these costlier professional computers I have access to.

Yours sincerely,
-
http://vouters.dyndns.org:8080/
Philippe Vouters (Fontainebleau/France)