Re: Humble request for an updated slamr driver for Ubuntu 9.04 ( 2.6.28-11-generic )

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:45:52PM -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> The code exists, although I am not sure whether it is appropriate or
> not within GPL.  The device node gets created if the following is
> placed in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
>
>      Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
> /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf:install slamr modprobe --ignore-install
> ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe --ignore-install slamr; test -e
> /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0 2>/dev/null &&
> chgrp uucp /dev/slamr0)
>
> That will create the device nodes and appropriate permissions to dialout.
---end quoted text---

  That used to exist in the slmodem Debian package indeed, yet Ubuntu
  developers removed it.

  Yet this line only creates one device (which I think will be for just
  1 modem), let's suppose that a machine got 2 modems, this
  modprobe.conf line won't create the device for the 2nd modem. I think
  there is a way that would create the appropriate device if a correct
  udev rule (and probably some supporting code in the module) is made.

  Yet maybe that won't work if the MODULE_LICENSE isn't GPL.

  Which made me make some experiment a couple of weeks ago: I changed
  the MODULE_LICENSE to GPL (Not Dual BSD/GPL), but GPL, and compiled
  slmodem, and used the slamr device, I noticed that I got extra output
  from udevadm when I did this, but the kernel freezed after that, so I
  didn't bother to try again, since that won't be legal to distribute
  anyways.

--
 ‎أحمد المحمودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
  Digital design engineer