Re: Humble request for an updated slamr driver for Ubuntu 9.04 ( 2.6.28-11-generic )

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:58:45PM -0700, Shannon VanWagner wrote:
> I was able to get the packages installed, but I'm not able to get the
> modem to show up at /dev/slamr or /dev/ttySL0
---end quoted text---

  That's a problem with Ubuntu package that I am trying to find a
  solution for.

  Ubuntu doesn't want packages to create static device nodes, rather it
  requires that modules should have code that (along with udev) would
  create the appropriate device nodes when the module gets modprobe'd
  (or a device get attached).

  Yet it seems that such code doesn't exist (or is disabled) in
  slamr/slusb for some license issues (which I am not sure if they are
  right or wrong). Anyways, if indeed license issues forbid that
  slamr/slusb (since they are not strict GPL) contain such code. Someone
  suggested that each of slamr/slusb code could be split into two
  further modules (one that is GPL and hence can contain code to create
  appropriate device nodes), and the other part wouldn't have to be
  GPL. He mentioned atheros as an example.

--
 ‎أحمد المحمودي (Ahmed El-Mahmoudy)
  Digital design engineer