Re: John Curwood, New Zealand kernel 2.6.27-7-generic

Hi Marvin,

From the previou replies I received, I removed the';' from the front of the lines with my details in /etc/wvdial.conf. I then ran:
sudo wvdial
with the following results:
--------------
curwood@ubuntu:~$ sudo wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Cannot get information for serial port.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT086725327
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT086725327
NO CARRIER
--> No Carrier!  Trying again
-------------------
I ended up using ctrl+C to cancel the attempt as it kept looping the same action.
I then saw your last email saying that I needed to add the line:
Carrier Check =  no
to /etc/wvdial.conf
which I did I added the line to the end of the file.  Then I tried
sudo wvdial
again with the same result as above. I then tried moving the position the the 'Carrier Check = no' line in the /etc/wvdial.conf file to see if that helped. I tried this several times in several different possitions but I still get the same result.
At the moment the /etc/wvdial.conf file looks like this:
----------------

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Carrier Check = no
Modem Type = Analog Modem
; Phone = <Target Phone Number>
ISDN = 0
; Password = <Your Password>
New PPPD = yes
; Username = <Your Login Name>
Modem = /dev/ttySL0
Baud = 460800
-----------------------

Thanks for all your help so far. each time I get a reply I get one step closer to being able to connect to the Internet from Ubuntu.

Cheers,

John Curwood

Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
Additionally for modems thus using a /dev/pts/N  port, currently those
activated by slmodemd  or martian_modem, there must be added to
/etc/wvdial.conf  a line:
Carrier Check = no
because  /dev/pts/N  ports do not yet support this capabiity.

MarvS