Re: John Curwood, New Zealand kernel 2.6.27-7-generic

Hi,

Thanks for the advice Antonio, I downloaded the recommended package and installed it and ran it after creating the ports the terminal window said press ctrl+C for termination. At this point I used network manager to set-up a dial-up connection. Under the ports dropdown box there was now choice for ttySL0 only ttyS0. So I manually typed /dev/ttySL0 then ok after that the system seemed to pause as if the modem was about to start dialing, then a pop-up message fromt he netwrok monitor appeared saying netwroked was disconnected. I tried setting up the dial-up connection again but this time juste used the /dev/ttyS0 that was available in the dropdown box and got the same result.

Below is the terminal readout from installing and running slmodemd:
curwood@ubuntu:~/SLMODEMD_gcc4.3_alsa1.0.17$ sudo ./setup
Installing slmodemd helper to /usr/sbin/slmodemd
Writing log to slmodemd_Inst.txt
There is already installed a slmodemd of version:     2.9.11
There is a file /usr/sbin/slmodemd
Moving /usr/sbin/slmodemd to /usr/sbin/slmodemd.2.9.11
Copying slmodemd to /usr/sbin/slmodemd, making exectuable, and checking for version 2.9.11
SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.11 Feb 22 2009 09:37:12
Version verified:    2.9.11
Read the slmodemd_Inst.txt
There is already installed a slmodemd of version:     2.9.11
There is a file /usr/sbin/slmodemd
Moving /usr/sbin/slmodemd to /usr/sbin/slmodemd.2.9.11
Copying slmodemd to /usr/sbin/slmodemd, making exectuable, and checking for version 2.9.11
SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.11 Feb 22 2009 09:37:12
Version verified:    2.9.11
Read the slmodemd_Inst.txt
curwood@ubuntu:~/SLMODEMD_gcc4.3_alsa1.0.17$ sudo slmodemd -c NEW_ZEALAND --alsa hw:0,6
SmartLink Soft Modem: version 2.9.11 Feb 22 2009 09:37:12
symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/2' created.
modem `hw:0,6' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/2'
Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for termination.

With all the other documentation I've read I'm not sure if I need to download any other drivers or not, some seem to say yes, some seem to say that snd-hda-intel is on my system and is all I need.

I'm sorry to be a pain and also to take so long to get back to you but I havn't had the time lately to really look at the modem.

Cheers,

John Curwood

Antonio Olivares wrote:
John,

you applied what scanModem recommended right?

Support type needed or chipset: slmodemd supporting the snd-hda-intel
audio+modem driver

  An ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) modem driver:  snd-hda-intel
  provides Low Level support enabling contact with the modem hardware.
  For all BUT Conexant chip soft modems (using hsfmodem software)
  complementary High Level support is through a Smartlink utility:  slmodemd

  Download from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
  the package SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz having a compiled slmodemd.
Unpack under Linux with:
        $ tar zxf SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz
  and read instructions therein. But briefly, the modem is setup with command:
        sudo slmodemd -c YOUR_COUNTRY --alsa hw:0,6
  reporting dynamic creation of ports:
        /dev/ttySL0 --> /dev/pts/N   , with N some number
  Read DOCs/Smartlink.txt and Modem/DOCs/YourSystem.txt for follow
through guidance.

Instead of getting the SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz get the following one:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/SLMODEMD_gcc4.3_alsa1.0.17.tar.gz

Apply the same steps.  Then report back success/failure.

Regards,

Antonio