Re: Graeme, Australia, kernel 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686

Bjorn Wielens wrote:
Hi Graeme
Your best bet would be to build the latest ALSA driver from source.
You can get that here: http://alsa-project.org/
Let us know how it goes.
Bjorn.

Hi Bjorn,

Thank you for the info. I downloaded the alsa-drivers tarball as you
suggested. I built it and all went well, no errors. In the INSTALL file
it says to enable sound, soundcore.ko module. I tried to load it but it
was already loaded. Still no sound.

The main problem I see is that there is no way to start the sound
server. There is no option in the sound preferences utility as described
in the help file for it. See attachment. System > Administration > Services had alsasound and alsasound.new. Both showed as running but not enabled. I enabled both but didn't help. Re-booted, still no sound. The ALSA driver is running according to the alsasound script.

Perhaps pulseaudio needs to be stopped. but I cannot see how to do that at the moment. Clicking on the Volume Control in the panel elicits "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found" Opening the pulseaudio volume control shows "no streams, no sinks and no sources available" Got me stumped!

I have the following alsa rpms installed as well as the alsa-driver tarball I installed today:

[graeme@flintstone utils]$ rpm -qa  | grep alsa
bluez-utils-alsa-3.32-1.fc9.i386
alsa-oss-1.0.15-0.1.fc9.i386
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.16-4.fc9.i386
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
alsa-oss-libs-1.0.15-0.1.fc9.i386
alsa-lib-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
[graeme@flintstone utils]$

Regards,

GN

GN wrote:
Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
GN

RE: Hardware ID =
HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_1040&SUBSYS_11C10001&REV_1002

corresponds to Chipset 11c11040, hosted on the Audio card.  Support in
principle is explained in
http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/HOWTO-Agere-11c11040-HDA.html

However until you can get the audio working somehow, there is no
chance of modem support.
The lsmod ouput shows that that the snd-hda-intel driver is loaded.
But de bugging your audio problem remotely is beyond why capabilties.

MarvS
Hi Marvin,

Thank you very much. I was hoping that the modem part would be
accessible independent of the audio part. Never mind, I'll have to see
if I can get the audio working but my experience with Linux and sound
doesn't auger well I'm afraid. Depending on the release of Red
Hat/Fedora I've installed over the years on different hardware it either
'just works' or it 'never works'. This could be one of the latter :-(

<snip>

--
Kind regards,

Graeme Nichols.
Registered Linux User 381781 (http://counter.li.org/)
-      Be moderate where pleasure is concerned, avoid fatigue.       -