Re: Graeme, Australia, kernel 2.6.25.10-86.fc9.i686

Hey,
My computer also has this- the card is made by Realtek, but the driver
is snd_hda_intel.

Forgive me for being redundant, but you DID reboot after 'Make install'
right?

If so, You may want to read through the output of dmesg  and
/var/log/messages to see if there's anything related to the sound card.

If you're unsure, post them to the list and we'll have a look.

Bjorn.

GN wrote:
> [...]
>> reboot, they should automatically be loaded, as they will replace the
>> existing ones.
>> Bjorn.
>
> Hi Bjorn,
>
> Yes, I already did 'make install' as root. This is what /sbin/lsmod |
> grep snd gives after installing the drivers:
>
> [graeme@flintstone Download]$ /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
> snd_hda_intel         376568  0
> snd_seq_dummy           6788  0
> snd_seq_oss            30748  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      9728  1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                45604  5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device         10124  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss            36640  0
> snd_mixer_oss          16640  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                63108  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              21128  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd_page_alloc         11656  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
> snd_hwdep              10500  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd                    47032  10
> snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_hwdep
>
> soundcore               9288  1 snd
> [graeme@flintstone Download]$
>
> There is an interesting thing about this audio card. The name is
> different under Vista and Fedora 9. According to Vista the card is a
> Realtek High Definition Audio card. Maker Realtek Semiconductor Corp..
> Driver Version (for Vista) 6.0.1.5523. Two of them are listed, one at
> Location 2 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus) and Location 0 (Internal
> High Definition Audio Bus). Under Fedora 9 the audio card is listed as
> Intel Corp.82801H (ICH Family) HD Audio Controller (Rev. 03)
>
> Have you seen this before?
>
> Regards,
>
> GN
>>

>> GN wrote:
>>> Hi Bjorn,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the info. I downloaded the alsa-drivers tarball as you
>>> suggested. I built it and all went well, no errors. In the INSTALL file
>>> it says to enable sound, soundcore.ko module. I tried to load it but it
>>> was already loaded. Still no sound.
>>>
>>> The main problem I see is that there is no way to start the sound
>>> server. There is no option in the sound preferences utility as described
>>> in the help file for it. See attachment. System > Administration >
>>> Services had alsasound and alsasound.new. Both showed as running but not
>>> enabled. I enabled both but didn't help. Re-booted, still no sound. The
>>> ALSA driver is running according to the alsasound script.
>>>
>>> Perhaps pulseaudio needs to be stopped. but I cannot see how to do that
>>> at the moment. Clicking on the  Volume Control in the panel elicits "No
>>> volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found" Opening the
>>> pulseaudio volume control shows "no streams, no sinks and no sources
>>> available" Got me stumped!
>>>
>>> I have the following alsa rpms installed as well as the alsa-driver

>>> alsa-oss-1.0.15-0.1.fc9.i386
>>> alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.16-4.fc9.i386
>>> alsa-lib-devel-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
>>> alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
>>> alsa-oss-libs-1.0.15-0.1.fc9.i386