Question

When I try to connect to the internet I get message which says 'exit
code 17' loop back detected. What does it mean? Does it mean that my
modem is faulty? Does quality of modem affect net connection or there
is no difference between a cheap internal modem and a  costly internal
modem?

If I replace my modem, how do I uninstall the modem drivers that I had
previously installed. I am using ubuntu 7.10.

Waiting for reply,

Nitin Niroula.