Re: Dial up modem for Ideapad Y150

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Erin C. wrote:

I know the line works because I can log into windows and dial out
perfectly.  I do have the carrier check = no line in my wvdial.conf.

Should I just accept that there's no way to get the modem working in
linux and resign myself to a dual boot?

I personally wouldn't; a dual-boot setup is tricky because Windows will want to mess with the Linux stuff and your system will be dedicating resources and disk space to two full operating systems designed to more or less do the same thing. Since in today's world a computer that doesn't network is of very limited use, you'll likely end up using Windows all of the time anyway. And that's scarey ;)

I'd do one of the following:

A) Work a bit more on the current modem. Since it responds to AT commands, you're almost there. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to find problems when you're not actually sitting at the system in question, so I can't tell you exactly what the problem is. :)

B) Buy a full/real modem that doesn't require such drivers and user space components like the Winmodems do. I think I saw one in Best Buy the other day, but can't remember the name. If you have a cell phone, you might have a modem right there. Sometimes you can upgrade to a data plan that would allow using that to connect. It may or may not meet your needs.

C) Go cable modem/DSL. These are just a ethernet plug and don't require the tricks Winmodems do. Plus you get a massive speed increase. Sometimes prices are steep depending on your area, and some of the companies do unfriendly stuff like kill P2P connections, forbid inbound connections, inject ads into web traffic or snoop traffic. (Just remembered you seem to be using a laptop type computer, so this one maybe not so useful... )

D) Wireless. Some cities have city-wide wireless now. Maybe there's an access point you can ask to use or buy/rent into.