Re: dell dimension 4100 MINOR CORRECTIONS

And indeed my memory cheated me.
The direct address which you want is NOT
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers//downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
as quoted in Antonio's mail but
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php

Antonio, Marv, all of us:
I suggest to ban writing such full addresses, as it is so easy to reach the place from the main page with the advantage of encouraging users, specially new users, to read the documentation or at least see it.

Jacques

bseeadler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thankyou for your help. I actually was able to figure that out but I can't
connect using either address. I have access to a linux laptop with fedora.
Here is my post from the ubuntu forums:
Hi- thanks for your answer. I ran scanModem and it gives a linuxant
address to download a modem but my browser just hangs when I go there. It
says:
A driver source package is available at:
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/down...ubuntu-x86.php
download:
-7.86.00.12full -k2.6.24_16_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
Is there another place I can get this?

I had the same problem--ran scanModem, tried to access linuxant and...hang.

Is linuxant out of business?

John

Mea Culpa.

1- "For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt"
just should not be there because it does not apply to HCF modems.
2- The address
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers//downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
is incorrect.
Unfortunately I have to quote from my memory because www.linuxant.com
does not respond to me this evening.
I **believe** that the right URL is
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hcf/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
that is, hcf added in between the two skashes.

Sorry not to have noticed the above earlier.

Jacques

Jacques Goldberg wrote:
Antonio,

Jacks' modem is an HCF as you write yourself !
Your instuctions are for HSF , not HCF !!!
In addition, are you sure that the Dell OEM HSF modem driver which you
quote works under kernel? I am not. If you are 100% sure, please let me
know.

Jack,
The Dell driver quoted by Antonio does not work on your modem AS FAR AS
I KNOW.
You have no other choice than what I sent you before.
The driver downloaded from Linuxant is limited to speed 14,400 bauds, no
FAX.
To lift the limitations, you have to pay Linuxant 20$.
The fee is lifted for Dell users whose hardware and software match the
driver quoted by Antonio,
AS FAR AS I KNOW, again, this is unfortunately not your case.

Jacques

Antonio Olivares wrote:
Jack,

scanModem reports
 Support type needed or chipset:    hcflinmodem

----------------end Softmodem section --------------

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read DOCs/Conexant.txt

 From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers//downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
 download -7.68.00.12full_k2.6.24_16_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip *.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with: