Re: Need help for a (probably) Agere HDA softmodem on a Toshiba laptop (Ubuntu 64 bits)

Le mardi 29 juillet 2008 à 08:20 -0400, Bjorn Wielens a écrit :
> Hi Emannuel,
> You're not the only one to hope that the core gets
> pulled and separated- for one it would mean much less
> of a hassle for anyone after a kernel update, since we
> would have access to the module part of the code and
> adjust it accordingly.
>
> However, by far the hardest work in this is figuring
> out how to interface with the agrmodemlib.o file,
> since this contains the subroutines to access the
> modem hardware. The answers are all in the C files
> distributed with the driver, but it takes someone with
> a lot of free time to sort this out... or a good
> decompiler. (Note: the agrsm license says NOTHING
> about restrictions on reverse-engineering the code.)
> The only line that would cause problems is this one:
>
> "You agree not to merge or combine any portion of the
> Software with any other software, other than the Linux
> operating system,

Aha ! What exactly is the Linux Operating system ? Any GNU/Linux
distribution? in that case, we are covered. The Linux kernel ? Then,
given its modular nature, a kernel module would certainly qualify as a
integral part of the said Linux kernel.

The only legal snag I can see is the current trend of the kernel
evolution in pulling the proprietary parts of the modules outside the
main kernel tree. However, as far as I know, "binary blobs" are still
OK... provided they are acted upon as "black boxes".

However, IANAFL...

>                    unless expressly permitted by the
> laws of the jurisdiction where you are located.  Any
> portion of the Software merged or combined with the
> other software will continue to be the subject of the
> terms and conditions of this Agreement and you agree
> to reproduce on the merged or combined portion of the
> Software the copyright and other proprietary rights
> notices included in the original Software."

That might be managed...

> @Marv, at least, I think that's what is keeping us
> from pulling a 'martian' on the agrsm source... If we
> knew the methods and calls available in the
> agrmodemlib.o file we could easily do this, right?

[ Snip... ]

Sincerely,

					Emmanuel Charpentier