Re: Need help for a (probably) Agere HDA softmodem on a Toshiba laptop (Ubuntu 64 bits)

Hi Emannuel,
You're not the only one to hope that the core gets
pulled and separated- for one it would mean much less
of a hassle for anyone after a kernel update, since we
would have access to the module part of the code and
adjust it accordingly.

However, by far the hardest work in this is figuring
out how to interface with the agrmodemlib.o file,
since this contains the subroutines to access the
modem hardware. The answers are all in the C files
distributed with the driver, but it takes someone with
a lot of free time to sort this out... or a good
decompiler. (Note: the agrsm license says NOTHING
about restrictions on reverse-engineering the code.)
The only line that would cause problems is this one:

"You agree not to merge or combine any portion of the
Software with any other software, other than the Linux
operating system, unless expressly permitted by the
laws of the jurisdiction where you are located.  Any
portion of the Software merged or combined with the
other software will continue to be the subject of the
terms and conditions of this Agreement and you agree
to reproduce on the merged or combined portion of the
Software the copyright and other proprietary rights
notices included in the original Software."

@Marv, at least, I think that's what is keeping us
from pulling a 'martian' on the agrsm source... If we
knew the methods and calls available in the
agrmodemlib.o file we could easily do this, right?

Bjorn.

--- Emmanuel Charpentier <emm.charpentier@xxxxxxx>

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/ltmodem/11c11040/HOWTO-Agere-11c11040-HDA.html

http://www.flickr.com/gift/