Re: HOWTO for Agere 11C11040 Modem on HDA cards. (Roan, menedas, & others)

> Re ALSA FTP: I can download the file using the following link:
> ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.17.tar.bz2
For at least some ALSA drivers, the compile calls on the companion alsa-lib
which is expected to be at the same folder level as the alsa-driver package

So best to download both alsa-driver-1.0.17.tar.bz2 and alsa-lib-1.0.17.tar.bz2
which I was juse able to download from the upper right hand box in
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
after download:
$ mkdir alsa
$ cd alsa
$ tar jxf  ../alsa-driver*.tar.bz2
where ../ means the previous level folder
$  tar jxf  ../alsa-lib*.tar.bz2
$ cd alsa-driver-1.0.17
and follow Bjorn's instructions.  Note that Root permission must be
used during the
# make install
step

Bjorn,
   In the agrsoftmodem.c
it suffices to comment out the line
#define USB_MODEM 1
/* #define USB_MODEM 1 */
then the Proprietary license can be maintained.
If the agrserial compile is omitted, then there is a successful
compiled of the agrmodem.ko.

Of course as you have related,
agrserial.ko cannot be compiled with changing the License to GPL.
For this issue, it would be at  polite to make the GPL license
conditional in the agrserial code, for kernels greater than 2.6.24
Using guidance from the slmodem package, I've begun to work this up.
It takes some new codelets.c outsider of that contained in the current
agrsm package

I have related the problem of the after 2.6.24 transition to  "Alexei
Chentsov" <chentsov@xxxxxxxxxxxx> and "Olivier Blin"
<oblin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
The suggestion is that the strategy used in the current  slmodem and
martian packages be owrked out  for the agrsm code
 That is
1)  writing from scratch a low level agr_dev. ko  driver, with purely
new GPL code
2) Moving all Proprietary agrsm  code components into a non-driver agr_modem
Then there would be no Linux block at the compiling stages.
This would also enable support of x86_64 processors, with agr_drv.ko
compiled 64 bit and agr_modem compiled 32 bit

However this is clearly a LOT of work and as yet no responses from
Alexei and Oliver.  Hopefully this means that they don't consider it
impossible, and will presently respond to the issue.

Also I am going to politely inform our LSI/Agere contacts that some
INDIVIDUALS are changing the License to GPL. for support after 2.6.24
If they do not Officially respond, we can presume we can continue with
informal support at the current level.

If an OFFICIAL  protest is returned, we do HAVE to STOP.  LSI/Agere
has already provided us at NO COST, a large body of ltmodem and agrsm
code.  As the Linux kernel evolves, updates that only LSI can provide
will likely be necessary. In particular, there will at least be
necessary compiles under a future gcc-5.n of the currently encrypted
code components.

MarvS