Re: Elmer, USA, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 kernel 2.6.8-2-686

Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
Elmer

# COMMAND &
 such as
# slmodemd --country=USA --alsa hw:1 &
is the correct syntax for running a COMMAND in the background, while
again getting the command prompt back.  This causes problems on a
minority of systems.
Just test if it is OK on yours.  To stop slmodemd, first FOREGROUND (fg)
# fg slmodemd
Then you will be able to stop with:
# Ctrl C

 The simplest way to automate is to install the Debian package sl-modem-daemon
If should manage bootup loading of the snd-intel8x0m and
slmodemd --country=USA --alsa hw:1

But this will overwrite your current slmodemd, version 2.9.11, with an
older version 2.9.9e.   So just again copy the slmodemd from the
SLMODEMD package back:
#  cp slmodemd  /usr/sbin/slmodemd
# chmod +x  /usr/sbin/slmodemd
and check the version with
# slmodemd --version

You may have to edit  /etc/default/sl-modem-daemon to specify usage of
snd-intel8x0m rather than slamr.

To  enable an ordinary User to use any dialout tool.
$  chmod a+x  /usr/sbin/pppd

I tried that and still I have to be root to launch slmodemd and wvdial.

R40:/home/ellsworth# ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root dip 265880 2005-03-24 14:21 /usr/sbin/pppd

If I try to launch slmodemd as a user, here's the response:
ellsworth@R40:~$ slmodem --country=USA --alsa  hw:1
bash: slmodem: command not found

If I try to launch wvdial as a user, once I've launched (as root) slmodemd:
ellsworth@R40:~$ wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySL0: Permission denied
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySL0: Permission denied
--> Cannot open /dev/ttySL0: Permission denied

I suppose wvdial is responding that way because slmodemd has been launched by root.

Here are the relevant permissions:

ellsworth@R40:~$ ls -l /etc/wvdial.conf
-rw-r-----  1 root dialout 247 2008-07-01 08:17 /etc/wvdial.conf

ellsworth@R40:~$ ls -l /usr/sbin/slmodemd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 1284201 2008-06-24 10:16 /usr/sbin/slmodemd

ellsworth@R40:~$ ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root dip 265880 2005-03-24 14:21 /usr/sbin/pppd

wvdial.conf has the same permissions as on my desktop machine (hardmodem) and on my other laptop partition (Knoppix) set up for a pcmcia card modem.

What else should I try?

Should some 2nd dialout attempt fail, do (with root permission)
# /etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon   restart
which will stop slmodemd, unload the driver, reload the driver, and
again do the slmodemd setup.

MarvS