Re: Elmer, USA, Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 kernel 2.6.8-2-686

Greetings:

How can I get slmodemd and wvdial to launch for a regular user
rather than root? I tried putting /etc/wvdial.conf and
/usr/sbin/slmodemd in the dialout group, but they still only work for root. The other files' permissions were correct when I was using a pcmcia modem a month ago. What am I missing here?

Also, I understand that "&" causes slmodem to work in the
background so the console can be used for something else -- like running wvdial. Where must I put the & in order to have it work in my case? After slmodemd or at the end of the command string?

# slmodemd & --country=USA --alsa hw:1
or
# slmodemd --country=USA --alsa hw:1 &

I just tried one of those options and had my GUI hang (probably not related, but . . .), so I hesitate to experiment again.

Once I'm able to dial in as a user other than root, I think I'll be quite satisfied. Thanks for your patience and your willingness to share your knowledge and time.

Elmer