Re: Calling any Earthlink dial up users

Hi Marv and all,

Unfortunately, I've tried:

Earthlink.net/loginname (which is my Earthlink email address by the way), and:

ELN/loginname

I've substituted backslashes \ for slashes /, and probably about every other combination that I can think of, and it stil fails with the same error messages. I know my loginname and password are correct, it's how i"m logged in to Earthlink on my XP partition right now and sending this email.

Just out of curiosity, I set my XP dial up connection to show a terminal window after dial up, and this is what popped up after the modem stopped chattering.

Level 3 Comm nas21.2md1 UQKT2
Username:/login:/Login:

That's probably completely useless in the Linux environment. come to think of it, I don't know what use it is in the Windows environment, either. But, it looks like some more serious file editing is needed somewhere here, but i have no idea what file to change or if I knew, what info to put in to it. I thought maybe that Username:/login:/Login: was somehow significant.

~Ann

Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
Ann,

Instead of using  your LoginName for Earthlink, use
   earthlink.com/LoginName
or if your IP  is earthlink.net, use
   earthlink.net/LoginName

That is usually all that is necessary for CHAP

If there are any other failure messages, let us know.

MarvS