Re: Modem dials but can't establish a PPP connection

Ann
  have you run:
$ sudo wvdialconf   /etc/wvdial.conf
and then edited in your personal info with:
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf

After the edit it should look like:

[Dialer defaults]
Modem = /dev/modem
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Phone =  IPnumber_without_spaces_or_dashes
Username = LoginName@xxxxxxxxxx
Password = LoginPassworkd
#  lines are not read bu wvdial
# Auto DNS = yes
# Auto Reconnect = on

Save on trial a dialout with
$ sudo wvdial

For gnomePPP, run its setup to do the equivalent. Not under Linux now,
but I recall the config file is .wvdial.conf   in your home folder.
Display it with
$ cat .wvdialconf
the leading .  just hides files, which can be displayed with:
$ ls -a

If you still have a failure, send us the failure informaiton.
Some of it will be displayed by:
$ sudo tail -f  /var/log/messages

MarvS