Modem dials but can't establish a PPP connection

HI folks,

Well,t h excellent news is that I've got my modem detected, drivers installed (I hope), and it's dialing. The bad news is that I can't seem to get it to actually make a connection. PPPD keeps dying on me. I'm trying to use either WVdial or Gnome-ppp, which I believe is just a graphical front end for WVdial.

Also, I'm trying to connect to Earthlink in the US. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the connection established? Is there a log file I can send that might help in that regard?

Thanks.

~Ann