Re: Confirmation needed before paying

Rick,

PLEASE try to bring people to understand you.
Are we talking here ONLY about FAXING?
If yes, then your whole story about wvdialconf and wvdial is irrelevant because these are used to run an Internet session, not a FAX machine.

I answer in CAPITAL letters in your mail below where relevant for FAXING.

rick wrote:
Hi there jacques
-------
This section is the your email reply to my request for help
-------
Rick do as scanModem tells you to do
\begin{"}
Support type needed or chipset:    hsfmodem

For owners of a Dell PCs with Conexant HSF modems, a driver source
package with full speed enabled is available, but requires driver
compiling. Read Conexant.txt
The hsfmodem package serves a great variety of Conexant chipset modems.
From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
download hsfmodem_7.68.00.07full_k2.6.22_14_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip Under Linux unpack with:
$ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
Then install with:
$ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
Subsequently, the modem should be found with
$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
Edit in your personal information with:
$ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
and try dialing out with:
$ sudo wvdial.
See Testing.txt  for details.
Read Conexant.txt
Writing Conexant.txt
\end{"}

Regards,
Antonio

------
And here is the result of the two test
------

rick@rick-laptop:~$ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
[sudo] password for rick:
Editing `/etc/wvdial.conf'.

Scanning your serial ports for a modem.

Modem Port Scan<*1>: Scanning ttySHSF0 first, /dev/modem is a link to
it.
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 Z -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Modem Identifier: ATI -- 56000
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 4800: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 9600: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 19200: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 38400: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 57600: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 115200: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 230400: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Speed 460800: AT -- OK
ttySHSF0<*1>: Max speed is 460800; that should be safe.
ttySHSF0<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0 -- OK
Modem Port Scan<*1>: S1 S2 S3 SHSF1 SHSF2 SHSF3 SHSF4 SHSF5 Modem Port Scan<*1>: SHSF6 SHSF7
Found a modem on /dev/ttySHSF0, using link /dev/modem in config.
Modem configuration written to /etc/wvdial.conf.
ttySHSF0<Info>: Speed 460800; init "ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0"
rick@rick-laptop:~$
rick@rick-laptop:~$ sudo wvdial
[sudo] password for rick:
WvDial<*1>: WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
WvDial<*1>: Initializing modem.
WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATZ
WvDial Modem<*1>: ATZ
WvDial Modem<*1>: OK
WvDial<*1>: Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
WvDial Modem<*1>: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
WvDial Modem<*1>: OK
WvDial<*1>: Modem initialized.
WvDial<Err>: Configuration does not specify a valid phone number.
WvDial<Err>: Configuration does not specify a valid login name.
WvDial<Err>: Configuration does not specify a valid password.
rick@rick-laptop:~$
----

HERE WE ARE, AT LAST, TALKING ABOUT FAXING, AFTER HAVING LOST A LOT OF TIME READING IRRELEVANT MATERIAL.
OK, now my question is like this. As i truly need to fax, so i am
willing to pay for the full capabilities but worry me is whether i can
really fax out from that point on
ARE YOU ASKING IF LINUXANT WILL PERHAPS TAKE MONEY FROM YOU WHILE NOT GICING THE SERVICE? IF THIS IS REALLY WHAT YOU MEAN, ASK THEM ...
and also, how fine will the resolution
of my faxes be to my recipients.
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT QUESTION.
THE RESOLUTION OF YOUR FAXES IS SET BY THE SOFTWARE WHICH MAKES THE TIFF FILES, NOT BY THE MODEM DRIVER!
What i be faxing will mostly be
brochure of commercial vehicles but in black and white cos
COS ? WHAT IS THAT ?
i will
convert it from multi colour using gimp.
ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY, BUT ***PLEASE*** HOW CAN WE KNOW, THAT YOU INTEND TO USE A SCANNER TO MAKE TIFF FILES FROM A PRINTED DOCUMENT AND THEN SEND THE TIFF FILES WITH YOUR MODEM TO A REMOTE FAX MACHINE? IF THIS IS CORRECT, THEN, AGAIN, THE MODEM DRIVER TRANSMITS WHAT IT IS GIVEN. THE "QUALITY" DOES NOT DEPEND ON THE MODEM BUT ON THE WAY THE SCANNING IS DONE AND ON THE RECEIVING FAX.

And lastly, i hope your pricing is affordable Friend!!!
THE COST OF THE FAX ENABLED LINUXANT DRIVER IS NOT DEFINED BY ME "FRIEND" BUT BY LINUXANT. SEE THEIR WEB PAGE FROM WHICH YOU TOOK THE DRIVER.

Btw, i am using Ubuntu  Release 7.10 (gutsy) Kernel Linux
2.6.22.14-generic GNOME 2.20.0 and my Hardware Memory: 438.90 Processor:
AMD(Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technnology MK-36
THIS IS AGAIN IRRELEVANT TO OPERATING THE FAX.
BUT ONE THING IS MISSING IN WHAT YOU DID.
WVDIALCONF FOUND YOUR MODEM BUT WVDIAL DID NOT WORK SO YOU CANNOT KNOW FOR SURE IF YOUR MODEM WORKS. WVDIAL IS USED TO START AN INTERNET SESSION. YOU CAN USE IT ONLY IF YOU HAVE AN ISP (INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER) AND THEN THE PHONE NUMBER, USERNAME AND PASSWORD GIVEN TO YOU BY YOUR ISP MUXT BE PLACED IN /ETC/WVDIAL.CONF (READ THE INSTRUCTIONS).

JACQUES