ISSUE with ST7544 based usb modem and slmodem on Ubuntu Gutsy

Hi,

I have just tried using a usb softmodem based on ST7554 with slmodem, in combination with a recent Linux i386 (32 bit) distro (Ubuntu Gutsy).
Kernel is at 2.6.22 (official ubuntu kernel).
I know that the modem should work, since it's a modem I used to employ a few years ago, when slmodem was at 2.9.7 and still directly distributed by smart link. Hence, unless I am missing something right now, compilation and install of slmodem should be ok, since I have already done it successfully before.

And in fact, slusb gets loaded nicely with modprobe, the slusb0 device properly appears and slmodemd starts without a problem, giving me a ttySL0 to dial out. Also, I can talk with the softmodem just nicely (for instance, the modem answers correctly my enquire commands).

However, I cannot in fact use the modem.

As soon as I give a dial command to it, I here the relais inside the box switching, the modem takes the line... but it cannot dial. Actually no sound at all can be heard from a phone connected in parallel for checking. And at this point, everything is just frozen. I need to kill slmodemd to convince the modem to hung-up.

When I kill slmodemd, I see fifo underruns on the system messages (but maybe this is just due to the abrupt shutting down of the daemon).

Any idea?

Sergio