Re: David Grandeffo, United States of America kernel 2.6.22-14-generic

Marvin Stodolsky wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Read the InfoGeneral.txt
> For a few dollars more, it is worth buying a Controller Chipset
> (hardware) modem, whose serial drivers are provided in every Linux
> releases.  If you buy one of the winmodems, drivers will have to be
> compiled with every kernel update.
>
> MarvS

Marv,
I hear what you are saying. That makes a lot of sense on my desktops,
but I still would prefer that my laptop use Linux without having to be
tied to an external modem. I would really like to become more
comfortable with the inner workings of Linux so that I can handle things
like compiling drivers when the situation arises. I'm not expecting to
be a Linux Guru, but I want to be able to understand the terminology and
commands when I look for information on the internet. I really want to
put Windows behind me.

Thanks for taking time with me.
--
Dave