Re: Unable to detect modem

Alan,

You can change the permissions on  /etc/ppp/pap-secrets back now.
Read  http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html
The sound problem is known/common. Jonathan may comment

MarvS

On 6/18/07, Alan Purchase <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Marvin,

In my previous email I stated that the Install had failed. However, the
next time I restarted my notebook I was informed by Ubuntu that there
were new Restricted Drivers in use. The new driver was the Conexant
modem engine so I decided to see if indeed the modem was now working.
Gnome PPPD detected the modem as /dev/ttySHSF0 but the connection failed
with the warning "Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission
denied". The log file is attached. I changed the permissions (sudo chmod
a+rw /etc/ppp/pap-secrets) and tried again and this time with success.

So the good news is the modem works. The bad news is that sound doesn't
work any more.

Cheers, Alan.