Re: Trying to set up modem for Fax

James,
I am not a Windows expert, even not a Windows occasional user. I have kept a tiny partition on my laptop because of the dealer's request for maintenance - end of my Windows knowledge.

What you can certainly do, even without entering Windows under VMWare (but can do as well under VMWare - > Windows) is to search your Windows disk partition for a file MODEM.INF which in principle does contain the necessary information.
Send the complete file.

Example, assuming that the Windows partition is mounted as /mnt/msdos:
find /mnt/msdos/ -iname *.inf | grep modem
returns    /mnt/msdos/drivers/modem/onboard/del5422k.inf
and del5422k.inf  has the required information  (del = DELL ,...)

Jacques

W. James MacLean wrote:
I don't have Windows installed, except under a VMware virtual machine. Is there any sort of Windows "live cd" I could use to do this? Or can I boot from a DOS floppy and use some other program to detect the hardware?

Cheers,

James

Jacques Goldberg wrote:
Before making the FAX work, let's first make the modem work.
For that purpose, we need to identify the modem chipset.
scanModem failed trying to do so.
Could you please follow this part of ModemData.txt and send us the result?