De: Jacques Goldberg <Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx>
Para: Juan Martinez <jbmartinezs@xxxxxxxxx>
CC: discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Enviado: domingo, 20 de mayo, 2007 13:57:28
Asunto: Re: scanModem, Ubuntu 7.04  kernel 2.6.20-15-generic ATI IXP

Juan,

Do you really believe, in the spirit of Linux, that we would send you,
and probably at least a thousand people, possibly many more, before you,
to a driver for which you must pay to get the full features?

To debug a new modem connection, we recommend using wvdial. Did you
indeed use wvdial?
What do you mean by "it dialed"? Have you heard the sound (various
frequencies) of your and the remote modem negotiating speed?
And if not, have you listened from a voice phone set in parallel, if you
hear the dialing?
Or have you tried to dial some other phone number in your home or
portable or friend to check that ringing was heard at the other end?
Or have you just seen on the screen a echo printed of the dial command?
I am asking because BEFORE you have checked that, you cannot know if the
modem dialed, just see that the DRIVER received the dial command, and
possibly sent dialing to the air because your modem is NOT a Conexant.

And leave the Stupid Mode away, it is completely outdated on almost all
ISP servers.
What is your ISP?

And BEFORE you pay, and waste more time, PLEASE, as Antonio asked you,
download a fresh version of scanModem, not the old obsolete one which
you used, from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz ,
and send us the file ModemData.txt .
Do NOT pay for the full version before having verified that the free one
works.
Again, I fear that your modem is not a Conexant, and only the LAST
version of scanModem can say what is the state of the art with your modem.
Things changed a LOT in this field between date 9 June 2006 of your
scanModem and today, almost one YEAR !

Jacques

Correo Yahoo!
 Only plain text email is forwarded by the  DISCUSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx List Server.
 Do use the following as the email Subject Line:
           SomeName, YourCountry Ubuntu 7.04  kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
 This will alert cogent experts, and  distinguish cases in the Archives.
 YourCountry will enable Country Code guidance.
 Occassionally responses are blocked by an Internet Provider mail filters.
 So in a day, also check the Archived responses at http://www.linmodems.org .
 Local Linux experts can be found through: http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html
--------------------------  System information ----------------------------
CPU=i686,  Ubuntu 7.04
Linux version 2.6.20-15-generic (root@palmer) (gcc version 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)) #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007
 scanModem update of:  2007_May_11
The modem symbolic link is /dev/modem -> ttySHSF0

ALSAversion 1.0.13
USB modem not detected by lsusb

Modem or host audio card candidates have firmware information:

 PCI slot	PCI ID		SubsystemID	Name
 ----------	---------	---------	--------------
 00:14.6	1002:4378	103c:3091	Modem: ATI Technologies Inc ATI SB400 - AC'97 Modem Controller

 Modem interrupt assignment and sharing:
 16:      35302   IO-APIC-fasteoi   yenta, ATI IXP, hsfmc97ati, fglrx

 --- Bootup diagnositcs for card in PCI slot 00:14.6 ----
[   12.450837] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:14.6[B] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
[   12.450847] ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:14.6 disabled
[   14.944000] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:14.6[B] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 16

 The PCI slot 00:14.6 of the modem card may be disabled early in
 a bootup process,  but then enabled later. If modem drivers load
 but the  modem is not responsive, read Bootup.txt about possible fixes.
 Send dmesg.txt along with ModemData.txt to discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 if help is needed.

 === Finished modem firmware and bootup diagnostics section. ===
 === Next deducing cogent software ===

 For candidate modem in PCI bus:  00:14.6
   Class 0703: 1002:4378 Modem: ATI Technologies Inc ATI SB400 - AC'97 Modem Controller
      Primary PCI_id  1002:4378
    Subsystem PCI_id  103c:3091
    Softmodem codec or Vendor from diagnostics:
                              from    Archives: CXT, a Conexant type,
      CXT is  a generic for all CXTnumbers, with  Linuxant hsfmodem software support.

 Lacking a dsp (digital signal processing) chip, the modem is a software
 intensive or "softmodem" type. Its primary controller manages the traffic
 with the CPU. But the software needed is specified in the Subsystem.
Support type needed or chipset:	hsfmodem

The diagnostic outputs for this softmodem section have their raw information in
folders and text files under /proc/asound/ which you can browse. The information
is from files:
	/proc/asound/pcm
-------------------------------
00-00: ATI IXP AC97 : ATI IXP AC97 : playback 1 : capture 1

	/proc/asound/modules
-------------------------------
 0 snd_atiixp
and from the command:
	aplay -l | grep -i modem

----------------end Softmodem section --------------

 Formal support for Conexant chipset modems are available ONLY through
 http://www.linuxant.com/drivers.  Read Conexant.txt for details.
 and Modem/YourSystem.txt for follow through guidance.  Driver speed is limited to
 14,400 until a key is purchased.  There is NO freeware alternative.
 There are two support package types: hsfmodem  and hcflinmodem.
 http://www.lorenzobettini.it/linux/LinuxSonyVaioVGN-S5VP_B reports a
 problem and solution in stalling a key, after testing of the free low
 speed download.

 The hsfmodem package serves a great variety of Conexant chipset modems.
 From  http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-ubuntu-x86.php
 download hsfmodem_VersionSpec_k2.6.20_15_generic_ubuntu_i386.deb.zip
                           with 2.6.20_15_generic equivalent to 2.6.20-15-generic, your kernel version.
 Under Linux unpack with:
 $ unzip hsfmodem*.zip
 Then install with:
 $ sudo dpkg -i hsfmodem*.deb
 Subsequently, the modem should be found with
 $ sudo wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
 Edit in your personal information with:
 $ sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf
 and try dialing out with:
 $ sudo wvdial.
 See Testing.txt  for details.

 Read Conexant.txt

Writing Conexant.txt

 Completed candidate modem analyses.

 The base of the UDEV device file system is: /dev/.udev

 Versions adequately match for the compiler installed: 4.1.2
             and the compiler used in kernel assembly: 4.1.2

 Kernel-header resources needed for compiling are not manifestly ready!

 If compiling is necessary packages must be installed, providing:
	 linux-headers-2.6.20-15-generic

Checking pppd properties:
	-rwsr-xr-- 1 root dip 269224 2007-04-04 23:41 /usr/sbin/pppd

In case of an "error 17" "serial loopback" problem, see:
    http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

To enable dialout without Root permission do:
	$ su - root  (not for Ubuntu)
        sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd
or under Ubuntu related Linuxes
	sudo chmod a+x /usr/sbin/pppd

Checking settings of:	/etc/ppp/options
asyncmap 0
noauth
crtscts
lock
hide-password
modem
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
noipx

In case of a message like:
   Warning: Could not modify /etc/ppp/pap-secrets: Permission denied
see http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

Read Modem/YourSystem.txt concerning other COMM channels: eth0 eth1 eth1:avah
Which can interfere with Browser naviagation.

 Don't worry about the following, it is for the experts
 should trouble shooting be necessary.

# start/stop the daemon when the USB modem is connected
KERNEL=="slusb[0-9]*", GROUP="dialout", RUN+="/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon"
 Checking for modem support lines:
 --------------------------------------
     /device/modem symbolic link:   lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2007-05-21 09:10 /dev/modem -> ttySHSF0
slmodemd created symbolic link /dev/ttySL0:
     Within /etc/udev/ files:
/etc/udev/rules.d/00-hsf.rules:KERNEL=="ttySHSF0", SYMLINK="modem"
/etc/udev/sl-modem-daemon.rules:# start/stop the daemon when the USB modem is connected
/etc/udev/sl-modem-daemon.rules:KERNEL=="slusb[0-9]*", GROUP="dialout", RUN+="/etc/init.d/sl-modem-daemon"
     Within /etc/modprobe.conf files:
/etc/modprobe.d/hsf.conflicts:install snd-via82xx-modem /bin/true # temporarily disabled by hsf - conflicts with hsfmc97via
/etc/modprobe.d/hsf.conflicts:install snd-atiixp-modem /bin/true # temporarily disabled by hsf - conflicts with hsfmc97ati
/etc/modprobe.d/sl-modem-daemon.modutils:install slamr modprobe --ignore-install ungrab-winmodem ;  modprobe --ignore-install slamr; test -e /dev/slamr0 || (/bin/mknod -m 660 /dev/slamr0 c 242 0 2>/dev/null && chgrp dialout /dev/slamr0)
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-atiixp-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:options snd-via82xx-modem index=-2
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# Uncomment these entries in order to blacklist unwanted modem drivers
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-atiixp-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-modem:# blacklist snd-via82xx-modem
/etc/modprobe.d/hsf:alias /dev/modem /dev/ttySHSF
     Within any ancient /etc/devfs files:
/etc/devfs/conf.d/hsf.conf:LOOKUP	^(ttySHSF[0-9]|modem$) EXECUTE nice /sbin/modprobe /dev/ttySHSF
/etc/devfs/conf.d/hsf.conf:REGISTER	^ttySHSF0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL symlink $devname modem
/etc/devfs/conf.d/hsf.conf:UNREGISTER	^ttySHSF0$ CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink modem
     Within ancient kernel 2.4.n /etc/module.conf files:

--------- end modem support lines --------