Re: scanModem, Ubuntu 7.04 kernel 2.6.20-15-generic ATI IXP

Juan,

Do you really believe, in the spirit of Linux, that we would send you, and probably at least a thousand people, possibly many more, before you, to a driver for which you must pay to get the full features?

To debug a new modem connection, we recommend using wvdial. Did you indeed use wvdial? What do you mean by "it dialed"? Have you heard the sound (various frequencies) of your and the remote modem negotiating speed? And if not, have you listened from a voice phone set in parallel, if you hear the dialing? Or have you tried to dial some other phone number in your home or portable or friend to check that ringing was heard at the other end?
Or have you just seen on the screen a echo printed of the dial command?
I am asking because BEFORE you have checked that, you cannot know if the modem dialed, just see that the DRIVER received the dial command, and
possibly sent dialing to the air because your modem is NOT a Conexant.

And leave the Stupid Mode away, it is completely outdated on almost all ISP servers.
What is your ISP?

And BEFORE you pay, and waste more time, PLEASE, as Antonio asked you,
download a fresh version of scanModem, not the old obsolete one which you used, from http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz , and send us the file ModemData.txt . Do NOT pay for the full version before having verified that the free one works. Again, I fear that your modem is not a Conexant, and only the LAST version of scanModem can say what is the state of the art with your modem. Things changed a LOT in this field between date 9 June 2006 of your scanModem and today, almost one YEAR !

Jacques

Juan Martinez wrote:
Thanks Antonio, you're right. My modem is conexant
based. I thought it could work with slmodem cause
Uubuntu (well, Xubuntu really) loaded all those
ati-ixp modules.

I've installed the hsf driver from linuxant.com and it
dialed, then pppd died. I think I have to tune some
parameters with Stupid Mode set to no, but I think I
can managed those issues.

However, linuxant drivers are paid. Free (gratis)
version limit the speed to 14.4 kbps, that's very
slow. Do you know about some free (as in freedom or as
in gratis) alternative?

Thanks again

Juan

--- Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx>