Re: what modem to buy?

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 11:08:09PM +0300, Jacques Goldberg wrote:
> You are right, OF  COURSE.
>
> But it has no value to start a discussion about the hen and the egg.

It was not my intent to start a discussion about anything.  I wanted to
stop discussion about why people send vitriolic emails instead of writing
code, since in fact they *can't* write code without specs.

[snip]

> Do you happen to know WHY the chipset manufacturers do not want to
> release the information necessary to write a driver?

Because they don't want to release the information necessary to build
a copycat chip.

> Behind this question is the explanation of why some (Lucent Mars series,
> SmartLink, and  a few more) are willing to write and give out for free
> the minimal core code needed to wrap up a modem.

I don't think Lucent publishes the specs for their chips either.  They
just put out some modem driver code.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx