Re: what modem to buy?

David,
Mind you, the answer depends on the laptop, and on the version of Linux which you use. Changing the INTERNAL modem in a laptop also requires some professional skills.

Let us imagine that you have a Conexant modem IN your laptop, but you do not want to pay 20$ to have it fully featured (56kbauds, fax support).
And you do not want to depend on the kernel.
And you want minimal headache (no driver).
And you want the modem to take as little place as possible in your bag.
And you have a free PCMCIA slot in your laptop.

Once you know all such answers, visit http://xmodem.org/modems/index.html
and take one of the PCMCIA modems made visible by clicking MODEMS, which is flagged in GREEN.
Those GREEN ones do not need ANY driver.
But be prepared to spend quite a bit of time to find one such new or used card ... and quite a bit of money.

Sorry David, but there is no other way to address questions as yours.

By the way, http://xmodem.org/modems/index.html is a new version of Rob Clark's table, and it is UNDER CONSTRUCTION, INCOMPLETE (some modems may be missing, almost all of them are not yet identified as DO NOT WORK in RED, WORK with a special driver in BLUE+PENGUIN(and check that a version of the driver exists for the kernel which you use), GREEN Ok (full hardware and very hard to find), BLUE+$ Ok with driver for which you must pay, not clear in ORANGE.

There is MUCH more and MUCH better information from searching by chipsets at the same place, but do not ask us which modems contain a given chipset. Many, not all, manufacturers will not tell you which chipset they use because they change depending on their collection of orders and chipset availability schedules from the chipset manufacturer which is almost never the same as for the complete modem.

David Weitz wrote:
Okay. But back to the question. What is the best modem, either internal or
external (I use a laptop) to use with Linux?
Thanks,
Dave