Re: Dialing/connection problems

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 11:01:41PM +0300, Jacques Goldberg wrote:

> Paul,
> This is not a property of "chat" as it may seem from your post.
> I believe that Dante will find a solution looking at the pppd options
> (command  man pppd ) where the options are set in file /etc/ppp/options
> It seems to me that he may need one of the lcp- options, quite possibly
> lpc-restart  . The parameter (time in seconds until the request times
> out) is 3 by default. See what happens if you brutally raise it to 15
> None of this has anything to do with which interface you use to launch
> pppd, be it a direct chat command or an indirect chat built by wvdial or
> kppp or you-name-it.

lpc only comes into play after you can start invoking the ppp protocol
(i.e., send frames, etc.)  This only happens after authenticating, so
if the user is stuck on "username/password", then lpc is not relevant.

In chat, you can use the TIMEOUT command to set the timeout.
Here's a sample chatscript:

---------------begin chatscript---------------
ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT	     "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT	     ERROR
ABORT	     CLI
""	     atz
TIMEOUT 20	OK	atdt\T
TIMEOUT 180	name:	myusername
TIMEOUT 20	word:	\qmypassword
		>	ppp

Here \T is automatically replaced by the phone number.  I forget what the
\q does, but it's not part of the password.

So, my advice to Dante is to try switching to chat and see if that helps.

I wasn't able to find any timeout parameter in wvdial.

--Paul Vojta, vojta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx