Re: Re^5: Dialing/connection problems

Interesting thought; the problem is that my ability to
connect is totally independent of whether I enable or
disable stupid mode in wvdial.conf.

Here's one of my vague theories: I live up in a
canyon, and our telephone lines tend to be fairly
"dirty;" up until recently, most of the Windows
computers in my house couldn't connect at speeds any
higher than 26 Kb/s.  As a result of all this, it
usually takes most of my computers several
"negotiation cycles" to successfully connect to my ISP
(several consecutive iterations of what sounds to be
the seem screechy communication string).  All this
negotiation can take quite a long time - up to a full
minute, or more sometimes.
Based largely on the audial pattern I'm getting from
my linux laptop's modem, it seems like the PPP daemon
times out if a connection isn't made after a given
period of time; as I mentioned earlier, wvdial says
"No Carrier," and promptly starts redialing - even as
my ISP's server continues to try to finish the first
negotiation.

I should mention that my other machines do
occasionally manage to make a connection after only
one iteration of the "handshake" - and though I
haven't really tested it, it seems that the rate at
which they do this is roughly equivalent to the rate
at which my linux box is connecting at all.  (1-2
successes per 10 attempts).

So I'm wondering if there's some setting that
specifies how long the PPP daemon should wait for a
connection before declaring "No Carrier" - and if
there is, if there's also some way to change that
setting.

- Dante

--- Jacques Goldberg <Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx> a
écrit :

> Could it be that you have a Stupid Mode line in
> /etc/wvdial.conf ?
> If your ISP immediately starts the login procedure,
> itprompts for the
> Username and waits for you to answer while Stupid
> Mode was introduced
> for those very few ISP's which wait for your side to
> start the login
> procedure.
> This would create a mess.
>
> Jacques
>
> Dante ZePasta wrote:
> > Good news - I've managed to get online, and am
> writing
> > this from my
> > linux box.  Bad news: I can only seem to do it
> once
> > every ten tries.
> >
> > Sure enough, the DNS problem disappeared when I
> > disabled my other
> > network interfaces - but I'm still running into
> the
> > first two problems I
> > mentioned earlier:

> negotiations
> > appear to time
> carrier;
> seems
>

> > But here's something interesting: where I used to
> get
> > infinite copies
> > of the line "pppd: sword" (see mybugalt.txt below)
> > when the daemon "got
> > stuck", now I'm getting infinite copies of the
> line
> > "pppd: Username."
> > Here's an example:
> > --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.54.0
> > --> Cannot get information for serial port.
> > --> Initializing modem.
> > --> Sending: ATZ
> > ATZ
> > OK
> > --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
> > ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2
> > OK
> > --> Modem initialized.
> > --> Idle Seconds = 300, disabling automatic
> reconnect.
> > --> Sending: ATDT13102068311
> > --> Waiting for carrier.
> > ATDT13102068311
> > CONNECT 34667
> > --> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
> > --> Starting pppd at Thu Apr 12 17:03:15 2007
> > --> pid of pppd: 7141
> > --> pppd: Username
> > --> Using interface ppp0
> > --> pppd: Username
> [...]