Re: Lucent Winmodem and Slackware

John Pate wrote:
...and note that 2.6.18 is in */testing* (and comes with warning messages).

(You will need to install the kernel-headers to compile `martian' and I believe it's unlikely the martian developers can do much about that.)

Essentially, you're breaking the seal and voiding your warranty... but that's OK, since after all you didn't _have_ a warranty.

I've often had to upgradepkg to 2.6 headers on Slackware 11.0 for various things, and just "upgradepkg ;-)" right back to the old ones when I'm done.

For that matter, there are good reasons why Patrick is sticking with 2.6.18 for 12 rather than 2.6.20, which is supposedly the latest and greatest.

I'm sticking with it for now during the development because the removal of <linux/config.h> causes a lot of pain, but will try to upgrade to the "latest and greatest" as release time draws near, giving ample testing time of course.

As I believe I've remarked before, this Linux thingy will be really neat when they finish it.

Hopefully it will never be finished or we'll all have to find something else to do. ;-)

Best to all,

Pat