Re: Lucent Winmodem and Slackware

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:

Make sure that ALL other COMM channels except loopback (lo).

Maybe that was it. It's not easy to take eth0 down, killing the dhcpd and repeated issues of /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 stop are required to kill the ethernet interface (unless it's supposed to take several seconds to go away - I've not had to take ethernet interfaces down to get a modem to work before).

Then I kept getting `NO DIAL TONE'. Eventually I found another (shorter) modem cable, took out the check for a dial tone, added the X3 for low line voltage (as recommended for Italians, even tho I'm in Scotland), removed the `NO CARRIER' check and did get dialed in and deleted some spam from my Hotmail account, and got good ping times from the usual suspects. I used a `chat' script which is kind of a Slackware standard thing, not wvdial or such fancy stuff, so I guess it was lucky I got some kind of connection previous to RTFM - as in looking at the suggested wvdial.conf... which was made possible after the testing of a fix for the failure to run the `scanModem' script.

(BTW Patrick, IMHO, the `pppsetup' script in Slack 11 is more of a hindrance than a help.)

So, it does work fine with Slackware 11 and kernel 2.2.20.2 (and by implication and Pawe?'s testing Slack 11 and kernel 2.2.18). Kernel 20.6.20.2 seems to go ahead and load the martian_dev without any intervention in further configurating the module loading and one of the files from /scripts can be turned into an `rc.martian' which makes a `/dev/modem' device (which being easier to work with than the default naming).

HOWEVER, I had to do non-standard things to get the linking to happen on compilation, so there is some work needed somewhere by somebody (but not me). There should be nothing to prevent it compiling and linking on stock Slackware but it didn't until I made the bogus symlinking from /usr/include into the kernel tree.

	And now it's definitely past my bedtime.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|message from the cookie daemon|

We hold that truth does exist independently of consciousness,
a philosophical view that might be summarized by the popular
aphorism ``wishing doesn't make it so.''

--
John Pate <johnny@xxxxxxxxxx>
Edinburgh, Scotland (home PC)