Re: Lucent Winmodem and Slackware

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, John Pate wrote:

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Marvin Stodolsky wrote:

[ . . . ]

So, it does work fine with Slackware 11 and kernel 2.2.20.2 (and by implication and Pawel's testing Slack 11 and kernel 2.2.18). Kernel

Actually - 2.6.18, I never said it is 2.2.18 :)

20.6.20.2 seems to go ahead and load the martian_dev without any intervention in further configurating the module loading and one of the files from /scripts can be turned into an `rc.martian' which makes a `/dev/modem' device (which being easier to work with than the default naming).

HOWEVER, I had to do non-standard things to get the linking to happen on compilation, so there is some work needed somewhere by somebody (but not me). There should be nothing to prevent it compiling and linking on stock Slackware but it didn't until I made the bogus symlinking from /usr/include into the kernel tree.

No John, I think you put it quite wrong. Patrick V. gives you sources of kernel, together with kernel includes, headears etc and with a lot of precompiled kernels. You can of course compile your own kernel if distribution kernels do not fit your needs, that should not be a problem. BUT, if you change kernel sources (as you switch to 2.6.20 which is not included in Slackware 11.0) than not everything should go so smoothly. It is YOU that start doing something non-standard (like switching to 2.6.20 kernel). I do not say it is bad, as I also like playing with different kernels, but you can complain on doing that nonstandard things on Slackware (which is really great OS) only if you are sure, that you would have problems dealing with kernel sources and headers from Slackware 11.0 distribution.

I am glad you have you modem working now!

Pawel