Re: rjefferey, USA Ubuntu 6.10, 2.6.17-10-generic

Hi Jacques,

Sorry for the confusion, I'm new to this form of
discussion. Should I be CC'ing my replys to the board?
Anyway, several days ago I had Debian GNU/Linux 3.1
kernel > 2.4.27-3-386 installed on a computer that I
am setting up for my mother. MarvS tried to help me
get the modem working but ended up reccomending that I
install Ubuntu so now I have Ubuntu 6.10,
2.6.17-10-generic installed on the same computer.
MarvS sent me the following instructions (should I
follow these?):

-------------from MarvS---------
RJ
The package bypasses the need to setup for compiling
again. The included sl-modem-daemon-Version.deb file
has setup automation scripts It  was hunted up through
 http://packages.ubuntu.com/ which likely you will
want to use in the future

With the attached under Linux, unpack with
$ tar zxf slamr*.tar.gz
Move in
$ cd slamr-2.6.17-10-generic
Look around
$ ls
Do the
$ sudo ./setup
and follow the output instructions.

When rebooting, modem setup should be automatic, You
should be able
to dialout with
$ sudo wvdial

Check back if you have problems

MarvS

--- Jacques Goldberg <Jacques.Goldberg@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
> exactly which error.
> 5-type    cd slmodem-2.9.11-20061021
> 6-type    make > myproblem.txt 2>&1
> 7-send us the file  myproblem.txt   which the last
> command will have
> generated.
>
>   Thanks - Jacques
>
> PS: if you happen to know, please tell me who or
> what caused the
> original subject line
> Re: rjefferey, USA Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 kernel
> 2.4.27-3-386
> to become
> Re: rjefferey, USA Ubuntu 6.10, 2.6.17-10-generic
>
> Strange
>
> Jacques
>
> Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
> > RJ
> >
> > Let me try to clarify issues a bit.
> > 1) Your system is now properly equipped to support
> compiling.
> > 2) However the failure you encountered with the
> > slmodem-2.9.11-20061021 resource:
> >> `__set_64bit_v ar':
> > is a characteristic of recent code fixes,
> suggesting that in the case
> > of adding these new fixes for 2.6.n kernels,
> compatibility was broken
> > with requirements of your fairly old Debian
> 2.4.27-3-386 kernel.
> > 3) The simplest thing to thus try with your
> current kernel is an older
> > Smartlink support package.  You could try either
> the last of the old
> > series  slmdm-2.7.10.tar.gz, or one of the early
> packages in the new
> > series, say slmodem-2.9.11-20051009.tar.gz
> >
> > This is the simplest option you can try. Just try
> the compile again with
> > the
> > slmodem-2.9.11-20051009 instead of the
> slmodem-2.9.11-20061021
> >
> > 4) The more lengthy alternative is to replace the
> whole installation
> > with a more current Linux, with which we know the
> the
> > slmodem-2.9.11-20061021 resource works with your
> Smartlink modem.
> > THis would bring the benefits of much improved
> hardware support under
> > the current 2.6.n kernel.
> >
> > Debian derivative Ubuntu Edgy with 2.6.17 kernel
> is one option for a whole
> > Linux update.  My modem is thus working.  See
> http://www.ubuntu.com/
> > for more details
> >
> > MarvS
> >

> > On 2/2/07, r jefferey <rjefferey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi Jacques,
> >>
> >> After I ran scanMod em I opened the Modem file it
> >> created and I read 1stRead.txt. It directed me to
> the
> >> other files and I found that the more I read, the
> more
> >> overwhelmed and confused I became. I really
> wouldn't
> >> have asked for help if I could have found it and
> >> have been spending nearly all day the past 4 days
> >> trying to get this installed. I apologize for
> being
> >> aggravated, maybe you can relate. Here...have a

/lib/modules/2.4.27-3-386/build/include/asm/system.h:
> >> In function
> >> `__set_64bit_v ar':

/lib/modules/2.4.27-3-386/build/include/asm/system.h:190:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

http://phep2.technion.ac.il/linmodems/archive-sixth/msg02637.html

> /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/bigarch/archive-sixth/msg04656.html

> COMM

> the

/etc/udev/rules.d/60-symlinks.rules:KERNEL=="ttyLTM[0-9]*",
> snd-atiixp-modem
> these
> drivers

> /etc/module.conf

> >> TV dinner still cooling?
> >> Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV.
> >> http://tv.yahoo.com/

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.