Re: slmodem wont compile on arch 2.6.19.2

--- golfer <golfbuf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/28/07, golfer <golfbuf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Bad news here .. the modem freezes the phone line
> (picking up a phone
> > reveals no sound at all) after varying periods of
> time.  When the
> > modem fails, the message in the kernel.log is:
> >
> > Jan 27 20:45:03 myhost st7554: fifo underrun!
> >
> > I have to kill slmodemd and remove the slusb
> module to free the phone
> > line.  After restarting, it will work for a while,
> but eventually
> > freezes again.
>
> I've tried googling this problem and the only ideas
> that come up are
> that the irq is not functioning properly.  On my
> laptop, the irq for
> this usb is shared with only one other thing .. and
> that is the
> onboard hsf modem, which I do not use.  In fact, I
> have not installed
> any driver for that hsf modem.  So, I don't see why
> it would be a
> conflict.
>
> I also have tried moving the usb modem to the other
> 3 usb ports and
> trying it in all the different combinations with and
> without the usb
> mouse and keyboard.  None of these makes a
> difference.
>
> So, now I don't think it is related to irq sharing
> issues.
>
> I also notice that the changelog for the 2.6.19.2
> kernel meantions
> some bug fixes in the way the kernel handles IRQ's,
> so maybe those
> changes have caused this bug in the slusb module.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> regards,

Golfer,

   I have tried the slmodemd code on a 2.6.19.2 based
kernel (2.6.19-1.2895.fc6) from fedora kernel
changelog
http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/2447
and it has been working for me.  I did get some
warnings but compilation and connections have been
successful for me.  Here's a link to the warnings that
I got

http://www.geocities.com/olivares14031/slmodemd-2-6-19-1-2895fc6.html

I have been hoping for some sort of intervention for
continued slmodemd code onto kernels >= 2.6.20, but
since the code is proprietary, and not open, it will
be difficult.  Furthermore, if I recall correctly,
smartlink sold out to conexant and they will not
support slmodemd since they only work with hsf and hcf
based modems served by linuxant.  Have you contacted
other Arch Linux users about your difficulties?

Regards,

Antonio

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/