Re: slmodem wont compile on arch 2.6.19.2

On 2/19/07, Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Golfer,

To me those discussions are so technically obtuse, that I'm not
certain what the course is.  But Sasha commented as below

MarvS
        from            Sasha Khapyorsky <sashakh@xxxxxxxxx>            11/25/06
        to              Marvin Stodolsky <marvin.stodolsky@xxxxxxxxx>
        date            Nov 25, 2006 11:09 AM
        subject         Re: non-GPL module, which will not be allowed in the future, slusb
Hi Marvin,

On 00:14 Wed 15 Nov     , Marvin Stodolsky wrote:
> Sasha
>  Note below:
> [17187549.640000] Symbol usb_deregister is being used by a non-GPL
> module, which will not be allowed in the future
> This is under a 2.6.17 kernel

Yes, I've seen this error message, but it still works on kernel
2.6.20, except I get the error:

st7554: fifo underrun

which, I assume is a different problem .. maybe something to do with
the changes in kernel 2.6.19.2 regarding interrupt handling.  I'll
keep using it unless/until you say it can't be fixed anymore.

It was only question of time when something like this should happen.

We cannot change the license without copywriter agreement (SmartLink)
and they will not do it now.

The only solution I could see is rewrite the driver from scratch and
license this as GPL.

Sasha

Yes, it would be great to have an open source solution, and I'm sure a
lot of us would help with testing if Sasha decides to undertake the
effort.

A lot of the world is still on dial-up, so there's still interest in
having working modems.

regards,